EKITI: Oba’s Palace Destroyed In Violent Attack
EKITI: Oba’s Palace Destroyed In Violent Attack.
We’ve made some arrests-Police
Fresh facts has emerged on the willful damage of some parts of the building in the palace of Oba Olatunde Olatunji of Imesi Ekiti in Gbonyin Local Government Area of Ekiti State on Friday evening by some suspects allegedly sponsored by one of his rivals in the race to the traditional stool.
The state police command said it has made some arrests, while restive youths kept vigil over the palace to forestall further attack from the alleged sponsored thugs
GREATRIBUNETVNEWS fidings reveals that, trouble allegedly started with arrival of Chief Dare Adeyemo and Chief Gabriel Bodunde who came to town by 6pm on Friday. The duo were opposed to the installation of the traditional ruler.
GREATRIBUNETVNEWS gathered Chief Adeyemo and his wife, Augusta, had been locked down in their Maryland, US base since February, probably as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
He was alleged to had earlier sent money to his cohort, Chief Ajayi Oisangan, to secure police permit for his supporters to go on rampage on his arrival, under the guise of a welcome carnival.
It was however reliably learnt that the permit he sought for was denied and his emmisary, led by Chief Bodunde Olokun, was warned to desist from any act that could cause commotion in the community.
It was gathered that the Onimesi sent a report on the incident to the Ekiti State Commissioner of Police and the state Director of the Department of Security Service (DSS).
Speaking on the incident, one of the warrant chiefs involved in the process leading to the installation of Oba Olatunji, Mr Oluwole Oluyemi, alleged that Chief Olokun was the mastermind of the attack.
“Chief Bodunde Olokun had been at the root of an unstable Imesi Community, even before the demise of the immediate past Onimesi, Oba Oladimeji, in 2018. His agitation for autonomy for his father’s section of the town, Okun, pitched him against the vast majority of the chiefs and the community.
“The last review of requests for autonomy put before the Ekiti State government was not granted an approval and thus his dream kingdom was shattered and he had therefore pitched opposition with the government.
“Not done, Chief Olokun bankrolled vigorous measures against the emergence of Oba Festus Olatunji Olatunde. His calculation was that he would not be able to secure the support of Oba Festus Olatunji Olatunde in his quest for autonomy.
“He secured the support of the US-based Chief Dare Adeyemo and his wife, even though same Chief Adeyemo had, on behalf of the late Onimesi, filed objections to Olokuns agitation for autonomy.
“Chief Adeyemo joined Chief Olokun to disturb the peaceful community because his wife’s candidate to the throne failed to attract the broad acceptance of both the ruling house, the community and the final selection process organised by the kingmakers and witnessed by the Ekiti State Bureau of Chieftaincy on 12th June 2020.
While Oba Olatunji could not be reached for his reaction to the attack, the Ekiti State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Sunday Abutu, confirmed the incident, adding that some arrests have been made.
“Some miscreants entered into the palace of the Onimesi of Imesi Ekiti in Gbonyin Local Government Area of Ekiti State, on Friday evening. They gained entrance into the palace and damaged some considerable parts of the building.
“Fortunately, the kabiyesi was not in the building when the miscreants came to the palace. However, some suspects were arrested and they are currently under investigation, after which they will be charged to court for prosecution,” he said.
When asked about the identity of the masterminds of the attack on the palace, he simply said he would not want to talk about the personalities behind the attack, but added that those who did it would be soon be revealed.
“I don’t want to talk about those who allegedly sponsored the attack. But one thing is sure: arrests have been made. The suspects are undergoing investigation. We are on the trail of others who participated in the attack on the palace. They shall all be brought to book,” he said.